Wednesday 20 February 2013

The R word


The dreaded R word - redundant is not a word most employes like to hear. 

Unfortunately the current economic climate lends itself to be said repeatedly in workplaces across Australia and globally.

According to wikipedia it means superfluousexceeding what is necessary. Who wants to superfluous and un-neccesary? Not I.

Unfortunately, my 'R' word came whilst we were on holidays last month, when i was informed  that my role was being eliminated and i was given my notice.

Shocked? Yes!

Gutted perhaps a more appropriate description of how i felt when i was told.

I have heard it said that everyone goes through an average of 2 or 3 redundancies in their career. I have been fortunate to date to have dodge the bullet at least once. I guess my number was up this time.

I have been warned by friends who have had the pleasure of being made redundant that the emotions will flow over the coming days and weeks. So i await for what may come.

The initial shock has subsided to give way to grief. And grief i must. 


My conversation with a friend this week about work is that we stay in the places we work not because of the company we work for but because of the people we work with.   This is so true.

Even though I am sad to leave what i have know for over a decade, sad to leave the people i have worked with; friends that i have made. 

I am ready to embrace the new doors of opportunity that will open ahead. Look out! 

Have you ever been made redundant? How did you handle it?


17 comments:

  1. We are going through a similar thing, not me but my partner. It is horrible to watch the emotional stuff - intellectually we'll be fine and it will ultimately be a good thing, but for now there's anger, disappointment, confusion and just low self esteem in a normally confident person...I think it's a horrible thing to have to go through, s wish you much comfort at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Banya just finished up his contract last week too. Hope you're ok. At least it's an opportunity for you to be with the little man while he's so young and adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danya. Am doing ok. Yes definitely gives me more time with the littleman, though the terrible twos are not really agreeing well with me.

      Delete
  3. i have been made redundant twice.. TWICE!!! all before i was the tender age of 25 to boot. Whilst its bred this real massive insecurity about being fired or unemployed at any stage, it did force me to step out of my comfort zone, which was probably a good thing. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you were made redundant twice!i am definitely out of my comfort zone at the moment, been a long time since i've had to update the old resume.

      Delete
  4. I've been made redundant and danced out of the office doors! There was this wonderful feeling of freedom.
    It might not so much be the case for many (especially when it comes out of the blue) but I do believe that these things are a blessing in disguise.
    Truly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see you dancing out the office doors! I was excited on Thursday , today was a slightly different story, just going to be a bit of an emotional journey for a little while.

      Delete
  5. Oh Steph! :( It sucks. It happened to me once but I was in the process of looking for another job as I wasn't happy anyway. It was a blessing in disguise. I got a huge payout and got a contract role within 2 weeks and a full time position after 6 weeks!

    And this is how I ended up in marketing! If I did not get made redundant the opportunity in the way of the full time role would not have presented itself! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks JZ. Am looking forward to the cheque, just not forward to the looking for new work. That being said, it does give me the opportunity to try something completely different. Just have to work out what that is.

      Delete
  6. Actually no I haven't - but I would have if I didn't leave on maternity leave a few years back. I suppose it's a more of the ''it's not you it's me'' - at least you weren't fired, now that would suck. Good luck and hang in there! Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Em, at least i wasn't fired and that definitely would suck!

      Delete
  7. I've been lucky enough to have dodged the r word so far but have seen many others over the years not be so lucky. I hope it can be turned into a positive for you and leads to better things down the track. Kirsty @ My Home Truths

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry this happened. Sometimes though, these things happen for the best, opening doors elsewhere. I hope this means you get to find what it is you really want to do. It will suck for a while but try to stay positive. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks robomum - hoping that i can work out what I really want to do - that's going to be the challenge.

      Delete
  9. That is really hard.
    I have been through this with my partner and me a stay at home mum.
    All you can really do is trust that something better IS coming and keep telling yourself "one door closes so another can open"
    Take care XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry this has happened to you - especially it being such a shock :(

    Trust that something so much better is around the corner, ready to sweep you off your feet.
    Take care
    x

    ReplyDelete